Pages

Sunday 6 September 2015

Autumn, urban fox, Necrobus

For the first time in what seems like a very long time, we didn't have anywhere to go this weekend - no specific plans, no required travel, just a chance to do... well, stuff. Like washing, and buying a dressing gown after putting it off for ages because it seems like too much of a luxury, and watching some TV, and applying for some more jobs because I'm still trying to sink that one that's both permanent and will let me do a little more of the fun stuff.
Sunflowers in Holland Park


Autumn is starting. At first it was just leaves on the ground - I didn't see them fall, just found them lying there on the pavement underneath the tall green trees. But now I can see them changing on the branches, watch them spiral slowly down and drift down in a slow zig-zag. The temperature is dropping, although today was very warm and sunny. The light comes later, and leaves earlier.
Why is this area cordoned off? I don't know!
But there are autumn leaves on the ground.

But I'm enjoying this change, and I'm looking forward to autumn keeping on coming. Autumn has always been my favourite season. And I've had two summers, and although I'm not complaining about it (not in this blog, anyway) I'm looking forward to seasons again. And they will be quite distinct seasons here, I believe.

SAW A FOX, a London fox! He was not interested in speaking to me at all, even when I mentioned Fabian's name (just in case they happened to have been acquainted by relations of hearsay). He was more interested in attending to the contents of a rubbish bin, and glared at me when I approached and stepped underneath the trees when he realised I was staring. On discovering I wouldn't go away - I was determined for a conversation - he simply walked past me and down the street. I was scolded by M for being so rude, which I think is fair enough. No wonder the fox didn't want to talk to me.

Necrobus by day, courtesy Jozef Fekete
Last night, after spending the day mostly mucking about and watching Burning Love (a most entertaining parody of dating shows, which I do recommend to you highly), we decided to actually do something and headed over to Trafalgar Square. London is something worth seeing at night.

We decided to see some of it from the perspective of the darker history sidey of London - there's quite a lot of that, what with all the executions and prisons and murders and all the years to fit them into - by jumping on the Necrobus for a Ghost Bus tour. I know. These ghost tours can be horrible mistakes. They can be incredibly tacky or incredibly (awkwardly) serious. This one was not.

We were taken around inner London and shown the sights on the Necrobus, which used to carry people out to funerals and had further history that was divulged in an incredibly amusing and entertaining theatrical performance. And we got to see some of the sights at night, with deathly highlights pointed out. Do it. We both recommend it.

Later, we ate cake. Mmm.


View out the window this evening



Blogs posts to come
  • The Gathering II, briefly finishing up my trip to Strathpeffer
  • Germany - Cologne, Bonn, Achen
  • Luxembourg - beautiful
  • A cottage on the Welsh border - bats, owls, a bitey horse

No comments:

Post a Comment